Not Your Everyday Rickshawalla

It was just another Wednesday evening. I wanted to get home soon and so I began looking for an auto rickshaw. As a Mumbaikar, I am well- acquainted with rejection while trying to catch rickshaws, so I couldn't believe my luck when I managed to catch one under a minute.

I got in and informed the driver where I desired to go. As the the three-wheeled lifeline of Mumbai moved along making its distinct sound, I noticed that the driver seemed particularly different. Most rickshawallas in Mumbai are either from north India or they are Maharashtrians, and both people have certain mannerisms about them. This person seemed to exhibit neither of the quirks, so I asked him innocently where he was from, and boy was I startled!

He answered, "Calcutta."

Now there's an answer you don't hear often from a rickshawalla in Mumbai. This began a battle in my head between the part of my mind thinking "Mind your own business!", and the part that was teeming with curiosity. Some moments passed and in the end, curiosity got the better of me and I asked him how he got to Mumbai; and so began one of the most fascinating life-stories I've ever heard.

Ravi came to Mumbai as a naïve little boy, on account of his dad's transfers; his dad being in the army. We were conversing in Marathi all this while and now it was crystal-clear why his Marathi was flawless. He became one of the first batch of students to give the SSC exam(it used to be a matriculation examination before that).  After completing schooling, he decided to study science and completed a BSc. However, his wish of becoming an orthopedic surgeon couldn't come true and instead, he completed an engineering degree from the acclaimed VJTI, Matunga. A double degree holder now, he went on to teach at Fr. Agnel College and then found work at Tata, which he continues to this day. He also worked with his uncle for a few years by virtue of which he spent more than a few years in Europe. While studying and working, he also began doing acting roles and ended- up working alongside big names in the film industry like Padmini Kolhapure and V. Shantaram, continuing to act in small roles in Marathi soap operas as much as a few years ago.

All this was so perfect and I didn't want to ruin this nostalgic moment, but alas! The human mind is morbidly curious. I asked him why he took to driving a rickshaw when he had so much going for him. Such a well-read and well-travelled man driving an auto rickshaw? To this, he replied that towards the middle of his life, alcoholism began affecting his health adversely. At that point, he was introduced to an astrologer who helped him quit his habit. Once reformed, he took an interest in astrology and began avidly studying it, going so far as topping the astrology exam and then becoming a consultant himself(a job he still does part-time time and teaches other people too). He went on to say that he began driving the rickshaw to supplement his father's income while in college and then he stopped it after he found regular work. However, after winning an arduous battle against alcohol, he began driving it again because he believes that vehicle taught him a lot of lessons and that is the reason why he still continues being a part-time rickshawalla.

By now, I was almost starry-eyed. The account that I had just heard was reminiscent of Forrest Gump, the character Tom Hanks plays in a movie of the same name. So many varied accomplishments in life and yet a simplicity that is so rare and unimaginable in today's day and age. He added that he will retire soon and feels complete now, because he has accomplished a lot, and his three daughters are doing well; quite evidently because one is a CA, another an IAS officer, and the third one has settled in Texas after doing her MS. I was now truly amazed at the things I'd heard and my face betrayed my happy astonishment. A man who has travelled the world, educated himself a lot, worked in varied, unconnected fields and managed to raise his children well and still, he drives an auto rickshaw for he wants to stay humble and grounded.

All of this reminded me of the words of one of the characters in Game of Thrones, Oberyn Martell- "Most of us live and die in the same corner of the world where we were born and never get to see any of it. I don’t want to be most of us." Ravi is like the real- life counterpart of Oberyn. Such people exemplify the Latin saying "Carpe Diem". Encounters like these end up teaching so much. It also made me wonder how much some people can open up once the ice is broken.

I reach my destination and pay him for the ride. We exchange a warm smile, followed by a firm handshake. He smiles and says, "It was nice talking to you" in flawless English. I tell him that the feeling is mutual, wish him good luck, and we part.

Not quite the usual rickshaw ride, eh?
:)

Comments

  1. Great article mate. Enjoyed how i got carried through it, as a reader. 😊👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it like a ride. Only makes me feel better as a writer :)

      Delete
  2. Scintillating Descripton of a high achieving humble man !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rama. High achieving humble man. Couldn't have put it better.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts